LACOCK, WILTSHIRE: TOP 5 THINGS TO DO

Lacock village nestling in the bucolic Wiltshire countryside is famed for many things from being the birthplace of photography to the location for a myriad of films and tv series. From Harry Potter to Cranford via all things Jane Austen, if it features wands or bonnets it was probably filmed here. If you haven’t previously come across William Henry Fox Talbot, the inventive fellow who took the worlds first photograph in Lacock Abbey, you may have heard of another of village’s other famed alumni,  mega vlogger Zoella.  She may not have a museum dedicated to her just yet – but give it time.

JO’S TOP 5 LACOCK THINGS TO DO

Wiltshire Scrapstore, Lacock, innovative shop from this award winning environmental and community charity selling upcycled treasure

1. DOORSTEP SHOPPING

Who needs actual shops with walls and doors and checkouts? Not Lacock! Yes it does have them, but what it also has is a culture of doorstep shopping. Enterprising locals capitalising on the village’s status as one of the most charming in England purvey their wares from their doorsteps. Jars of jam are accompanied by signs warning its still warm. What is available on any given day will vary but can include fresh eggs and chutneys,  fudge, huge chewy meringues in glass jars,  plants, flowers and who could resist a pickled egg?

The village hall also often has craft markets where you can ‘meet the maker’ of the crafts. DD couldn’t resist a pair of fingerless gloves from this stall selling a rainbow of gorgeous knits.

My top  Lacock shop though has to be the chocolate shop, Coco Chemistry where it surely is impossible to leave emptyhanded. Its handmade, its local and its utterly scrumptious. A bit hit with the children who start asking for the chocolate shop as soon as the word Lacock is mentioned #ifyouforceme

Coco Chemistry at the Chocolate Barn – otherwise known as YUMMY!

2. FOX TALBOT MUSEUM OF PHOTOGRAPHY

Everything you ever wanted to know about the history of photography they also have exhibitions throughout the year.

3. LACOCK ABBEY

The Abbey, gardens, brewhouse and bakery are all open to the public through the National Trust. Don’t miss the octagonal tower in the house and of course the window which was the subject of the first ever photograph. If you are going round the Abbey with kids allow a couple of hours to do everything. The guides in the Abbey are brilliant and have lots of entertaining stories to tell and interesting things to point out.

Lacock Abbey

4. EATS AND DRINKS

King Johns Hunting Lodge Tea Room Garden

If you are not stuffed from all the chocolate, there are plenty of places to eat in Lacock. My favourite place to eat in the summer is the King John Hunting Lodge Tea Room with its pretty garden and traditional English teas.  In my humble opinion,afternoon tea its the finest meal in the kingdom.

In winter I love The George Inn  complete with  medieval stocks and a fire place with a dog wheel where the dogs used to turn the spits of roasted meats. Luckily the dogs as chefs concept has had its day but the roaring fires are still going. If you have come from overseas looking for the quintessential English pub – this is it.

The George Inn Lacock

5. BONKERS FOR CONKERS

We had our biggest ever conker haul at Lacock, over 600 conkers in one patch of woodland. If you have ever wondered whether its true that they keep away spiders I conducted an experiment on your behalf. The result? I was finding conkers hidden in dusty corners for months afterwards and the spiders were still rife. #epicfail

IF…

If its raining….the Abbey and Museum are inside

If the kids are running amok…there is a playground in the village where they can let off some steam . Its also a good place for a picnic. Pooh sticks and splodging in the river are also wellies options.

If you are from overseas – you are seriously going to be challenged to find a more traditional English village than this – eyewateringly pretty and with all the key features – church – yes, grain barn- of course, village hall – check, half-timbered houses – its a yes again.

If you have drunk too much ale in the fine hostelries – the village still has the original drunk tank – enjoy!

Wellies@Lacock

PIN FOR LATER

LINKING UP WITH

Suitcases and Sandcastles
Travel Notes & Beyond
This post is in no way endorsed or sponsored by any of the organisations mentioned.

23 Comments

1. January 20, 2017 / 4:29 am

I visited Lacock at the end of November last year and loved every minute of my time there. Great recommendations you have here on things to do in the village!

• January 20, 2017 / 7:49 am

Thanks it’s one of my favourite places!

2. February 2, 2017 / 10:21 pm

I was there last year too! Loved all those little honesty stalls. Such a throwback to when times were simpler. We picked up a yummy piece of carrot cake in pretty Lacock. Thanks for sharing with us on #FarawayFiles

3. February 3, 2017 / 8:05 am

Looks pretty cute! Never heard of this town before! #FarawayFiles

4. February 4, 2017 / 5:13 pm

We love Lacock too. The George Inn is a great pub for lunch and I loved the stalls by the side of the road. It’s a shame I missed the craft market which we’d have enjoyed. I can’t believe you got that many conkers in one place! That’s a reason for going all on its own… Thanks for sharing this on #farawayfiles

5. February 4, 2017 / 6:06 pm

I visited as a child and even then (30+ years ago) it had the pretty village reputation! Have never been back, though maybe I should as I love still warm jam! #Farawayfiles

• February 5, 2017 / 9:39 am

Such a charming place like stepping back in time

6. SOLD! Being the one coming from abroad – I love the idea of the Inn! Yes please. Also anything having to do with photography is a definite hook for me – would love to see the history and exhibits. Wonderful post – thank you for sharing with #FarawayFiles – we are happy to have you join in! Cheers from Copenhagen, Erin

• February 10, 2017 / 7:11 am

Very picturesque with lots to do. Thanks for reading.

7. February 10, 2017 / 8:14 am

I’d never heard of this village until I read an article from another blogger a couple of months ago. The turnspit dogs immediately grabbed my quirky-loving attention, and your post has convinced me that this is a place that I need to check out sometime. Gorgeous – thanks! #FarawayFiles

• March 10, 2017 / 9:04 pm

So cute they have a little wellies cubbyhole by the front door!

8. March 10, 2017 / 11:52 pm

I just read a post about this beautiful little village in the bucolic Wiltshire countryside. Never heard of it before, but I have to agree is quite beautiful. #TheWeeklyPostcard

• March 11, 2017 / 12:14 am

It’s very quaint! Thanks for reading.

9. March 11, 2017 / 3:17 am

Sounds lovely. The museum of photography sounds really interesting and then I would love to relax and have some tea. Thanks for sharing on #TheWeeklyPostcard.

• March 11, 2017 / 8:53 am

Afternoon tea is my favourite meal!

10. March 11, 2017 / 7:36 am

I have never heard of it and I live in England- off to see where it is exactly on a map! May have to have a drive there at some point as it looks so quaint!
    #theweeklypostcard

• March 11, 2017 / 8:55 am

For a small village it has a lot to do! Hope you enjoy it if you do visit. Thanks for reading.

11. March 11, 2017 / 12:39 pm

I love exploring cute places in the UK like this! The Abbey looks beautiful, and I can’t believe you found so many conkers!! #TheWeeklyPostcard

• March 11, 2017 / 1:31 pm

It’s such a pretty place a real throwback in time. Thanks for reading.

12. March 12, 2017 / 4:26 pm

If this keeps up… We keep coming across these beautiful little towns and villages across the UK, many of which we’ve never heard of before. But that’s the beauty of Travel Blogs, right? So glad we spotted this post on Lacock. But, if this does keep up, we’re just going to have to move to England for a while! (I imagine worse things could happen!)